
Since my last update, freshmen and upperclassmen have moved in and started classes. Last Thursday, the freshmen descended upon Longwood's campus to begin their four year college journey. Chi Alpha set up a table in front of the bookstore with information for students who were interested in joining a Christian group on campus. We talked to several people that day, all girls. We also set the table up for a few hours Friday and Saturday. In those three days, we talked to about 15 people. Saturday afternoon, campus pastor, Gil, and I left with our student leaders for an overnight retreat at a camp in Amelia. The purpose of this retreat was to help our student leadership reunite with one another after the summer, catch up, and spend some time planning events and praying for the campus, students, and professors. It was an amazing retreat and we are very blessed with an awesome student leadership group. We returned to campus Sunday morning, dropped the students off, then I came back to my house long enough to unpack my car, check on my cat, check the important websites (email, Facebook, news), and eat lunch before returning to campus for the community involvement fair. This was a requirement for the freshmen and transfer students to attend as part of their New Lancer Days orientation. We set up a table with our Wii, fliers, and contact cards. We got the Wii up and running and Gil and I began playing to draw students over. During the hours we were there, we talked with a lot of students and got contact information from about 50 of them. We took that stuff down, returned to our houses for a few hours, then Gil, his wife, Lindsay, and two girls, and myself went to represent Chi Alpha at a pool party for international students. Gil and Lindsay's girls, Emma (3) and Adison (1), were pretty popular and a lot of the international girls wanted to take pictures with them.
Beginning Monday, we set up a table on campus with free, bright orange water bottles for the students. We filled them with either water or lemonade. We did this to bless our campus and the students as the last few days have been rather hot. We also wanted a chance to talk with the students, answer any questions they may have about Chi Alpha, and become known as a group that gives away something without wanting anything (you would be surprised at the number of people that will turn down a free water bottle). Over the last three days, we gave away 400 water bottles and went through more gallons of water and lemonade than I care to count. We also were able to get contact information from several of them as well. By doing this, we are able to send them e-mails about our meeting, events, and Bible studies that are starting soon.
Tomorrow night is our first main weekly meeting. When I was a student, it was called Journey, although few students referred to it as such. Most of us (myself included) referred to it as Chi Alpha, but as it was pointed out to me recently, the meeting isn't what Chi Alpha is...Chi Alpha is made up of the students and staff serving the campus and showing Christ through our actions. We decided to re-name our weekly meeting Thursday Night Worship (TNW- see photo). I am really excited to see what God is going to do through Chi Alpha and Thursday Night Worship this year. I am also really excited to see how many people come to TNW and see what Chi Alpha is all about (and then continue to come).
In addition to the outreaches on campus, we also had a Welcome Back party at my house (also known as JAM, the initials for us who live here). We didn't have very many returning students come, but those that came had a great time. Tuesday was full with the outreach on campus, a stiff meeting (a very giggly staff meeting with a very tired staff...but we got stuff done), and meetings with students. I am meeting one-on-one with a student that I began meeting with last fall. Both of us enjoyed meeting each week and discussing the book, Hope Lives. This student spent last semester studying in Argentina, so we were not able to meet. I am very excited that I am able to continue to meet with her and watch as God is working in her life. She has a heart for missions and a love for the Hispanic culture (her major is Spanish). It was nice to talk with her and hear a little about her experiences in Argentina. I also met with the student that I will be co-leading a Small Group Bible Study with every week. I am excited to work with this student, teaching her how to plan and carry out a Bible study. She is nervous, but I know she will do a great job.
Well, this blog is longer than I planned, interrupted a few times by chasing my roomates cat, Tiberius, aka Demon, away from my cat's bag of food and all around the living room, as well as the internet going out and having to retype some of this. Please pray for our student leadership, our students, and our staff. This has been a very busy week, but I know that God is going to use the seeds that have been planted this week for His glory.
cool girl! you summed it up well!
ReplyDelete