Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Hello from Tallahassee!!

Hello from Tallahassee! :) I arrived Sunday evening around 6:30 and met Kyle, the manager of the Ivy Lane apartment I'm living in. He let me in and showed me the house and all the improvements that were made since I visited in May. Kyle also helped me unload my vehicle and introduced me to one of my roommates, Mercy. We spent most of the evening cleaning some of the house and getting our rooms arranged enough for the night.

Monday afternoon, all of the interns met at the Chi Alpha building to meet one another and talk with Pastor Mario and Rhia. Kyle made all of us welcome packets, a bag filled with water bottles, granola bars, tea, salt (an inside joke :)), and a folder with a map of the bus route and our internship syllabus. I came back to the apartment and made a list of thing I needed from WalMart and Mercy and I went on an adventure to find a WalMart. We were successful in finding the WalMart, but not as successful with our lists. (Our house is older and only has the two-prong outlets and most of the things we need to plug in are three-pronged. I wanted to find some adapters, but the WalMart didn't have any. I think I'm going to check Lowe's tomorrow and see if they have any.) After we got back, we got busy unpacking and organizing most of our stuff. Mercy decided to clean out the bathroom closet, medicine cabinet, and drawers. A lot of the previous tenants left stuff like cleaning supplies (which it looks like we'll never have to buy! :)), toiletries, and other stuff. Mercy saved the cleaning supplies and some other things we thought we might be able to use and still managed to throw away two trash bags full of stuff. We carried those out to the garbage and came back in to fix dinner. After we ate, we sat around and talked about different things. It was nice to be able to get to know one another better and talk about different subjects.

Today, we met at the church/office at 10am and went over some other things before Pastor Mario gave us an assignment. "Zero Week" or when the students come back is just a week and a half away, so he asked us to come up with some ideas for a field day type events. He and Rhia left and we discussed several ideas. I'll blog later about the events we do and how they went...don't want to give anything away :) After we left the church/office, Mercy and I went back to the Goodwill auto/electronic/book store to return a laptop charger and see if they had a new one. Thankfully they did so she could charge her laptop and use it. We also took some cleaning supplies and went by fellow interns, Andrew and Rachel's apartment. They got here late last night and they needed help with some cleaning. We cleaned and hung out with them for a while before heading back to the apartment for dinner. I made some chicken and Mercy made rice and green beans. We got internet connected tonight, so I've been catching up on what's going on in the world around me (including Facebook :)) and getting more stuff unpacked. I got my wire cubby shelves put together and put all my books put away on that and got a few other boxes unpacked. I think this may be the fastest I've ever unpacked all of my stuff...usually I still have boxes sitting around several weeks after I moved in.

Well, it's getting late and I need to head to bed. I'll post another update later on in the week!

No comments:

Post a Comment