Friday, August 13, 2010

Week Two in FL in Review

I may not be able to update every week next week when the students return, but I thought since we don't have anything going on tonight, I'd give an update on week two.

Monday, we began our regular hours at the XA building, 9am-4:30pm. We received a text from Mario Sunday night telling us to wear clothes appropriate for painting. We spent most of the day painting the living room in the parsonage. If the offices are moved to the parsonage, the living room is where the interns will probably sit and work. It was a good experience for all of us to work together to get the whole room painted properly and knowing we were improving a space we may be spending a lot of time in. Mario bought lunch for us as a way of thanking us and we sat in the living room and ate together. We did a little more cleaning, switching things from one refrigerator to another, washing dishes, cleaning light covers, and whatever else we saw needed to be done. Mario went to the hardware store to pick up new switch/outlet covers and sandpaper and sent us a text telling us to go home early. Mercy and I came back to the apartment and hung around for the remainder of the evening. I began reading a book for a book report that I received in the mail before going to bed.



Wednesday, we went over jobs that need to be done to plan the Welcome Back events. We have events going on Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday that need to be planned by staff. Rhia made a list and went over it with us, asking us to volunteer for different jobs. We spent the remainder of the afternoon either working on our jobs or reading for our Berean classes or book report. We decided for everyone to meet at our house at 5:30 for dinner. Mercy and I got home and rested for a little while before we started cooking dinner. All the interns were able to come as well as one intern's wife and 3 kids. Everyone had a great time eating, talking, and laughing together.

Thursday, we met at the XA building at 8:45 and started on some cleaning and yard work. We also celebrated the addition of a 10th intern with doughnuts. The guys went outside to mow the grass and a few other jobs while the girls knocked the inside cleaning out. Since there are so many of us, we got the inside cleaning done fairly quickly. Erin C helped me update and format the website with the events we'll have next week. After the guys finished, we left for Wakulla Springs, a natural spring-fed lake-type state park. The water there is about 67 degrees and feels freezing cold. Right after we go there, it started pouring down rain, so we found a picnic shelter and ate our lunches. By the time we were done eating, it had stopped raining, so we headed to the swimming area. Some brave souls went to the jumping platform and jumped into the cold water. While we were swimming, it started to pour rain again. I went up to put my bag under the "sun-brella" so it wouldn't get soaked and my clothes and camera would stay dry. Since it wasn't a true umbrella, some of the raindrops did mist through, but it wasn't too bad. After the rain stopped, I went back out to the water for a little while. We met as a group in the lodge and Mario bought ice cream for all of us and we sat around and enjoyed our ice cream while talking and laughing with one another. As we were leaving the Wakulla Springs area, it started pouring rain again, but stopped before we got back to Tallahassee. Mercy and I came back to the apartment, where I took a short nap on the couch before the next storm hit. I heard the thunder rumbling hard enough to rattle the windows. I got a few things done around the house before heading to bed.

Friday, we met at a restaurant named Jim & Milts BBQ for breakfast. They have a breakfast special: grits, eggs, toast, and coffee for about $2.50. Nearly every Friday, the staff meets there for breakfast before going to the XA building. We went back to the XA building for a little while, then met at the parsonage for a time of prayer for next week, the events we'll be doing, and for our students. It was amazing to sit in the presence of God and feel the Holy Spirit moving among us as we prayed and worshiped. We went back down to the main building and spent the remainder of our time working on different jobs or getting reading done. We were told we could leave at 2, so Mercy and I went to two Goodwill stores in search of a bed frame. One of the other interns is getting a new mattress and asked me if I wanted to use her other one. I was able to find a headboard and side rails at the second Goodwill we stopped at. The employees there helped me load them in the Escape and we came back to the apartment. After we got back, I deflated the air mattress and swept and mopped my floor. I texted Paige to let her know I was ready to carry the mattress over whenever she was (she and another intern live across the street from Mercy and I). We got both the box springs and mattress over to my room. After I ate dinner, I called Dad and asked about how to attach the headboard to the side rails and took a trip to find a hardware store. I found an Ace Hardware and the guys that assisted me there were very nice and helpful; one of them gave me a tape measure out of his truck...he said he had too many. I got back to the apartment and cleaned the headboard and side rails so they can be put together tomorrow.

As of right now, I'm planning to spend most of Saturday around the house. I still have 3+ boxes that I need to finish going through. I brought a lot of kitchen stuff with me that I ended up not needing, so I need to find somewhere to store it until I go home again. I also want to spend some time reading and try to get ahead a little. Students move in next Wednesday, so beginning Monday, we're going to be very busy getting ready for their return. I'm getting excited and can't wait to jump right in!

No comments:

Post a Comment