Tuesday, January 12, 2010

A Day in the Life of a LUXA Missionary: Tues., Jan. 12, 2010: The Students Return

I had an idea for my blog recently. I'm going to choose a random day of the week and blog about that day, what I did, students I talked to, things like that. I'm hoping these blogs will give my readers a better feel for what I'm doing in my daily life, instead of looking just at the large events LUXA is doing. So, here goes the first installment! Enjoy!!

Tuesday, Jan. 12, 2010: The Students Return

Today was the first day of classes for a new semester. I can't believe it's 2010 already!! Seems like just yesterday everyone was worrying about the world ending in 2000 (oh, wait, that worry has now been pushed back to 2012). Anyway, since classes resumed in full swing today, LUXA decided to set up our hot chocolate table and bless students. We had a few difficulties getting to campus (like the water containers, full of hot water, turning over in the back seat of my car at two different turns. Luckily I have leather seats and a towel in my car, so it was very easy to clean up) and forgetting the table. But after we got set up, we had quite a few good conversations with students. We also had an awesome conversation with the Longwood police department chief. Yeah, turns out he's also a pastor in Buckingham County and was very supportive of our ministry. Awesome!!! We decided to break down the table at 12:15ish because we ran out of cups and we were fairly cold. I dropped Gil off at his house and unloaded the water containers, then ran back over to my house for lunch and a shower.

By 1:30 I was back over at the Banton's for staff meeting. We discussed the Tuesday night mission trip meeting, leadership meeting, and Thursday Night Worship. We also put strings on the guitar I borrowed from Dad. Hopefully I'll be able to begin learning to play soon. Today was learning how to string and tune. Then it was on to WalMart to pick up ingredients for Cesar salad, to be served with the pizza at the mission meeting.

At 5:45, I began putting said salad together and the students began arriving, as well as Gil with the pizza. Most of the mission team was able to attend, except for those students that had class during that time. We chowed down on the pizza and salad and began talking about our trip. We shared the things we were excited about and the things that we are concerned about. We also spent some time in prayer, not only for our team, but for those who are financially helping us to go and the country we will be visiting and the people that we will be working with and ministering to. At the end, we took care of the financial part and talked/hung out for a while. I drove a few of the students back to their dorms/appartments, then came back home.

No comments:

Post a Comment